Sunday, August 21, 2011

Frustrated

Feeling totally underwater today. Spacey, tired, out of it. It's stress and nothing else. I am flying out tomorrow and have literally spent all day doing laundry (again!), dishes (again!), straightening up (again, and again!), packing and checking various news websites. The packing is the easiest of all. Since America is the land of the free and the home of the Target, Walmart and Old Navy, I am mostly coming with empty suitcases. 


I am a news junkie in general, but when things start to escalate as they have the past few days here, I am unable to turn away from the computer for any long periods of time. I feel like I need to know what's going on all the time. It probably isn't the best thing for me; it makes me sad, angry, and so distracted that I have a hard time taking care of things, and today of all days is one of those days that I needed to be on the ball. Hence the underwater zombie-like feeling. I feel like this post isn't even making any sense. Forgive me. 


What's going on in the South of Israel is scary, but it's also very, very disheartening. The Muqata (don't worry, he's a frum Jew) has a blow by blow of what's been going on almost down to the minute.

http://muqata.blogspot.com/2011/08/gazas-war-on-israel-sunday-august-21.html

The reports say that over 100 missiles have been fired from Gaza into Southern Israel over the past 3 days, thankfully with few (but some) casualties. There are other coordinated terror attacks going on throughout the rest of the country as we speak. In the past half hour Jerusalem has been put on a special terror alert. The attack near Eilat has just claimed it's 8th victim. Others have been seriously wounded by shrapnel, including a 4 month old baby and other children. 


Over shabbos there was also more dismantling of Jewish settlements. 


And then I turn away from the Israeli news and I see this: Spain has decided to back the PA right to their own country. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4111821,00.html

What's their reasoning? 


"We have to give them some signal, because if we don't it could generate great frustration for the Palestinian people."

Oh man. We wouldn't want to cause frustration to the Palestinian "people" now, would we? We all know what THAT means. And you, Mrs. Spanish Minister of Foreign Affairs Trinidad Jimenez have just been bullied. Terrorized is what we call it.  

I constantly promise not to become political in my blog and I often find myself inching my way there, and I apologize. But it comes with the territory of living here, whether or not we like it, we are forced to see just how our government is failing us. It's a constant reminder that even though we are lucky to be living in E"Y, we are still a long way off from the geula and the perfect state of Am Yisrael. 


Let's keep praying that it's on it's way.

No comments: